Thursday, 5 August 2010

31st July - A day that would change my life in the short term........

Blogs, blogs blogs, seem 2 a penny nowadays.. so what's the point of this one? 

Well if you want the one paragraph summary.

I went on a bouncy castle. I had an accident. I arrived at A&E. I spent some time in hospital and for the next 8 weeks I am in casts and wheelchair. This blog is about that time, how it has affected me, and hopes to show how much I have taken for granted - even the simple things in life, such as stairs, steps, taking a crap on a proper flush toilet.

31st July 2010.

My friend's daughter was 6 on 30th July. Saturday 31st July we went around, for a few drinks in the evening with friends as it was their wedding Anniversary the next day.........

For the kids birthday party there was a 20ft high inflatable slide - looked fun, and it wasn't long before I was being dragged on it to have a go - all was well, so had another go........

Third time unlucky.........

Something went horribly wrong on the way down the slide - still not really sure, as some things remain crystal clear, others are a dark deep murky mystery........clouded by well, lots of things........

Anyhow I hit the inflated crash mat incredibly hard, managing to dislocate both ankles and fracture both fibulae. For a couple of seconds, people thought I was messing about, however it soon became apparent that the screams of pain and anguish were not yet another of my childish jokes and this time it was serious. So 999 was called and paramedics on their way........The only positive thing I could think at this moment was, hey at least I have a big comfy airbed to lay on, whilst I wait for professional medical help.

I am guessing about 20 mins later a couple of Ambulance Technicians arrived (Mike and Chrissy you were both brilliant - thankyou loads for all your help, assistance, professionalism, humour, quick thinking and making the judgements and calls you made at the scene!) - after a quick initial assessment, one got me on the gas and air, which i was saying at the time didn't work - "it's supposed to make you feel lightheaded........." - i guess it was working but just didn't feel it was...........

Legs in splints......

Then came the decision as to how I was getting through the house to the ambulance on the ambulance stretcher, which i am sure someone mentioned weighed a lot on its own............. then I remember people (ambulance guys??) talking about well maybe a helicopter and thinking hey not been in one of those this time i wasn't really 100% with it......

Both myself and friend are very keen photographer's and I DO remember saying to him, make sure you get some pics of this......... "you bet I will "was the reply..........(will get some pics from him to update later)

Laying there seeing stars, I think some of them were real,  heard a whumpf whumpf whumpf of helicopter rotors and over the houses and what comes roaring over the horizon - an RAF Sea King............

Couple of circuits of the area and they put down in the school playing field. Along come the RAF Seaking crew for further assessment. After a few more tests, some morphine, confirmation that we were going to James Paget and not the N&N (Helipad is too small for a Seaking - such is the size of the beast) and firmly strapped into the Seaking's stretcher we were off.

Bit of an obstacle course through the house, down the drive, past half of the village thinking "what's that big yellow whirlybird doing here at this time of night?"

Into the school playing field round the front of the helicopter, onboard and away we go, into the night sky whumpfing our way over Acle and Breydon Water to the James Paget at Gorleston. No matter how much pain you are in, scared whether you will walk again, wonder how long yuo will walk again, the adrenaline was rushing, flying over Breydon water, looking out into the eerie night sky with the load door partially open to keep the fuselage cool - and are those things loud in the back.

All in all from take off to touchdown was about an 7 - 8 minute flight, and then a transfer by ambulance from the helipad to A&E which for 10.45pm'ish on a Saturday night seemed remarkably quiet - though I think the style of arrival may have jumped the queues of the walking wounded somewhat.

A HUGE thankyou to the RAF Rescue Helicopter from Wattisham and a HUGE thankyou to Mike and Chrissy from East Anglian Ambulance Services. Would love to meet you again to convey my thanks to each and every one of you but would prefer it when you are off duty!


"Put him in the resuscitation room...."
" It's not going to be that bad is it I asked. As a casualty watcher, Sharon will faint what they tell her he's in resus."
"no, it's just it's the biggest room, nothing to worry about........."

Various nurses, doctors, student doctors, and then consultants perform different tests - off to xray and then back to A&E, then the consultant explains what will need to happen to get me on the road to recovery...... The first thing is to reorientate my ankles, which will resolve in me being given a strong sedative and then physically manipulated, twisted and cracked back into place...

One sedative and 2 1/2 hours later i am awake, legs bandaged with heel splints and off to Ward 6 for an operation Sunday morning.........


  1. Your a top bloke apart from being a tool and doing that to your legs, what ever next trampoline???

  2. I also think with your grit and determination you will be back on the bouncy slide in no time

  3. I know the 52 has been difficult recently but this is a bit drastic to get out of it.

    Get well soon Lynton

    Bruja xx

  4. That'll teach ya.............

    Seriously though, I share your pain and hope that you make it for that game of golf with me sooner rather than later.

  5. Will be following your blog with interest. Good luck with the recovery.